As the holidays are approaching family pictures have become a tradition for many families. Today I wanted to share my tips how to style a cohesive, classy and stylish outfits for the entire family. A lot of times finding perfect outfits for the entire family can be stressful and overwhelming. Hopefully a few of my tips can be helpful. As a wardrobe stylist I love helping families look their best on picture day while still being comfortable allowing their personalities to shine in the pictures. I had the opportunity to collaborate with Tiffany, she is a talented photographer in Houston. Tiffany was such a pleasure to work with. She is also a mama which means she knows how to work with kids and their meltdowns... We had a blast with Tiffany, she captured our family beautifully. Her website is tiffanyharstonphotography.com
"THE LOVE OF A FAMILY IS LIFE'S GREATEST BLESSING"
Here are my few tips...
- This is my number one rule, make sure your kids outfits are comfortable. If your kids are dressed in comfy clothes they will smile and be themselves! No one wants grumpy kids because their outfits are itching them. I want our photos to reflect each child's uniqueness and allow their adorable personality to shine.
- Pick your outfit first! You are going to be looking at your pictures with the most detail and wishing you could’ve changed your top because it doesn’t match or it doesn’t fit you perfectly! Make sure you try on your outfit before picture day. Sit and walk in it to make sure you are comfortable. You want your outfit to be perfect. Your kids are already cute so making yourself happy is much more important:)). I wanted to wear a bright red top because I love color yet dressed it down with skinny jeans and black pumps. Make sure your outfit is special because if you love your look I promise you will love your pictures a lot more!
- Plan your color theme around your outfit. Of course no one else is wearing red but my boys are wearing jeans like me. Our outfits still look cohesive, stylish and comfortable. Black, white, red, gold, and blue are the colors I styled for our shoot. Yes they are simple but because we have pops of gold and red it makes the pictures stand out.
- Keep your location in mind. Are your pictures outdoors or in a studio? We had our family pictures taken outside and then had the kids change into Christmas pajamas and we took those at Tiffany's home. For outdoor park pictures I recommend the kids be in more casual looks that way they are more relaxed and playful.
- Plan your outfits in advance. You don't want to be stressed out on the day of the photo shoot. I always say give yourself at least a week to think about your outfits. When picture day comes you are ready and stress free.
- Shoes matter! I know this might be a given but you want to have a cohesive put together look. This is not the time to allow your kids to wear old tennis shoes they run around in school. Nothing wrong with that, if you are willing to live with those shoes on your wall or put on your Christmas card then go for it. I recommend investing in a nice pair of shoes that will tie the entire outfit together.
- HAVE FUN, and try to relax! Choose outfits that allow your families personalities to shine! I wish I could say I have always practiced this rule, that would be a big fat lie! There were times I was so stressed out because everything was not "perfect" and I missed the joy of capturing these sweet moments with my family. We are so blessed that we have loved ones to capture memories with to last a lifetime!
I hope these tips were helpful and remember if you have any wardrobe styling questions, I would love to help! I love creating cohesive and fun looks for families. Let me take some of your stress and allow y'all to enjoy your special day!
Lots of love!
Your stylist and friend,