Hello ladies, on a consistent basis I get asked what are wardrobe staples. Items every woman needs to have in her closet to avoid saying "I have nothing to wear". Its't it frustrating having a closet full of clothes and nothing seems to work. I believe we buy things that are trendy and don't fit our bodies properly and then we are stuck with the clothes. We don't love them, but end up holding on to them for the sake of feeling guilty because we spent the money. So if you would book a styling session with me I would share some of these tips. Get comfortable, grab a coffee/water, whatever your prefferred beverage; relax and let's have fun talking about clothes!
1. Invest in good quality jeans. With our busy lifestyles jeans can make an outfit in a matter of minutes. Buy jeans that fit your body frame. The fabric is made well and they fit perfectly regardless of the wash. Another tip is try on the jeans and then sit in them, allow yourself to properly see if they look good on your body. I love buying mid to high waist jeans, because they fit my body frame the best. Don't buy jeans that are simply on sale. I promise if the fit is not perfect you will not wear them as much as jeans that more expensive and fit perfectly. With jeans always look for quality over quantity. They will be your best friend and you want to absolutely feel confident, comfortable and pulled together! No more baggy mom jeans that make us look 2-3 sizes to large.
2. Basic white and black tees. These are my go to's lately. Being a busy mom I don't always have time to plan out my outfits. In my wardrobe collection, I have on hand basic black tees that fit and work for everyday. Paired with skinny jeans and cute flats, make a easy yet lovely everyday outfit. It's important to buy tees that are good quality, so they don't shrink when you put them in the wash. One of my favorite places to buy t-shirts is TjMaxx, JCrew and the Gap.
3. Little black dress. I believe every closet should have a dress that always fits, and for me it's my little back dress. Find something that is classy, yet has a stylish flair. I love buying dresses that I can wear through out the year, not just for one season. A black dress is perfect to wear to any formal event, date night or even to church. I always say buy dresses that make you feel beautiful! When you try it on and you can see yourself wearing it for more then one wedding or birthday party.
4. Black or nude pumps. I know you will not wear these shoes everyday but if you are a working woman then you might, and investing in good quality leather will not only look more beautiful but they will also last longer. I love buying shoes on sale and some of my favorite places to shop is Nordstrom, Dillards and TjMaxx, they have an amazing selection on gorgeuos shoes which are also practical.
5. Comfortable wedges. I love my wedges not only for comfort but style. Pair a look with any wedge and it takes your basic outfit to something more stylish. It gives us height and leans out our bodies without having to sacrifice comfort.
6. Cardigan; any color or style, something that works with dressy and casual pieces. I love a pretty and comfy cardigan. Living in Houston the weather is unpredictable, so having a light sweater on hand is always a win. I like looking for cardigans that are a little longer, which are great layered under leggings and a basic tee.
7. Black dress up pants. I have a few pairs of black dress up slacks and I love them! I love wearing them to church, date nights or client meetings. I always say make sure the fit is perfect and not slouchy. You want to look sophisticated and powerful not masculine. Ann Taylor and Banana Republic both are amazing stores to buy dressy slacks and business/work clothing.
8. A light blouse that works with any season. I love blouses and kinda am addicted. I love throwing on a blouse with a pair of jeans paired with fun pumps, that makes a cute outfit in a matter of minutes.
9. Jeans jacket. Yes ladies the right jeans jacket can be dressed up or down. I wear mine with dresses, slacks and leggings. The outfits pairings are endless and it's a piece you can have for years. I love shopping for jeans jackets at Nordstrom, TjMaxx and Target.
10. Comfortable flats/ and or well made sandals. Some of my flats and sandals I literally live in. On the week days when I'm out and about with the kids I want to be comfortable yet still looked put together. So I invest in well made flats and sandals that are cute and comfortable. Some of my favorite designers for sandals are Tory Burch, the quality is amazing and they are comfortable and cute. And more affortable stores I love to buy shoes is at Aldo, Target, and Nordstrom Rack.
There are many more pieces that I believe make a beautiful wardrobe, but if we are talking about essentials and items to invest in then these are my picks. If you have good quality basics that fit your body, you will always have something to wear. From these basics you can create so many outfits. For example, your basic tee with skinny jeans paired with flats, and this is your outfit. Put on your favorite jewelry piece to tie the entire look together.
Your wardrobe essentials will look different then mine and that's okay. We all have unique styles and what matters is how you feel wearing your clothes. Trends change every season so I always tell my friends and clients to not fall for every trend the retail world is trying to sell you. Yes I have pieces that are trendy but I never buy items just because someone else is wearing it. I buy clothes because I know it will look good on me and my body. I want to rock those heels with whatever outfit I want because I love expressing myself through my style. And I want to encourage you do the same. Have fun with clothes! I wish we can go shopping together and I can show you how I shop. I'm like a kid in a candy store around clothes, shoes, well anything beauty! For all my local ladies, if you are interested in my services you can check out my website: styledbynelli.com I promise we will have fun working together, and you will leave the styling session feeling empowered, confident and ready to take on the world. Side note, when we look our best we feel more beautiful on the inside...something happens when you look good. Your entire attitude is more postive! I'm excited to write another post on style, fashion and everything in between. Til' next time...
Lots of love,