As a wardrobe stylist and fashion blogger I am always looking at the latest trends and trying to find inspiration in every clothing store. Many of my clients and friends ask how do they look put together without spending a ton of money on clothes. So today I am going to share my 5 tips on how I stay chic on a budget, and how I style my clients that want to look fabulous without breaking the bank.
1. Always shop the sale section! Don't fall into the trap of retail marketing stores that tell you, you need to buy the latest trends. The truth is I buy 80% of my clothes on sale. Regardless of what the new trends are I usually wait until it is on sale. Granted as a fashion blogger there are some items I will buy retail for blog outfits but other then that I always shop the sale sections. Shopping online is a time saver and very convenient, we can shop in our pj's but we have to be careful not to impulse buy and check the sizing charts. I love finding deals online, some of my favorite online stores to shop are Nordstrom, Ann Taylor/ Loft, Dillard's and Banana Republic. Below I will link some of my current favorite pieces that are affordable, chic and classy.
2. Shop your closet. One of my favorite parts about being a wardrobe stylist is having the ability to go to my clients home and look at there clothes. I find so much inspiration and provide my clients fresh eyes how they can wear their existing clothes. It is important to have a closet that is organized and gives you inspiration to style outfits. I believe you should only keep pieces that you love and make you feel beautiful. If you are holding on to clothes and not loving them they are taking up valuable real estate closet space. Getting ready will be a lot easier when you love every piece in your closet. Look at your clothes and ask yourself when is the last time you wore that piece. If you have a curated wardrobe, looking chic and put together will be a breeze!
3. Only buy pieces that fit your body frame. I think we all have been guilty of buying clothes that we fell in love with because of the trend or how it looked on the mannequin. When I worked for a merchandising company out of San Francisco, they trained me how to display clothes so everyone would love the pieces regardless of body frame, size, and budget. Y'all I learned how the marketing genius works! It is crazy how our brains are triggered and how we fall in love with things because of the pretty packaging, so again only buy items that fit your body frame and make you feel gorgeous!
4. Invest in well made jeans that fit perfectly! A good pair of jeans can make a chic outfit in minutes. Pair a basic tee or blouse with a cute pair of heels or flats and you are out the door. The secret is finding the right pair that fits your frame perfectly. I advise to most of my clients to buy higher waist-ed jeans because they give an illusion of a slimmer waist. One of the most important things you should look at when shopping for jeans is the quality of the fabric, is there any stretch and how they are stitched. Investing a little more money on quality and well made jeans will save you money in the long run. You will be able to wear them for a lot longer and they won't shrink in the wash.
5. Don't only buy clothes because they are cheap and on clearance. Purchase clothing that fits perfectly and invest in well made pieces that you can transition into every season. So many times we get lured into the "good" sales and start purchasing items that we truly don't need. My weakness is shoes, I can't help it when I see an adorable pair of heels on clearance. I start to believe that I need them and the reality is I have so many shoes that are gorgeous, I don't need another pair! (My husband loves to laugh at me when I say; just 1 more pair, because he knows after 12 years of marriage I still have a shoe shopping addiction). Some of the most important joys of my life when it comes to shopping is scoring an amazing deal on something I truly need and not just want because it is cute and on sale.
Lastly, have fun with dressing up and own your personals style. There is really no rules when it comes to fashion because God created us all different and our styles will be unique, and I love that! Embracing who you are, and what you like is beautiful, and remember if you have any wardrobe styling questions I'd love to help!
Lots of love!
Your stylist and friend,