Okay ladies I get this question asked all the time and wanted and share my 5 simple tips on how to always look put together; regardless of budget, size and style preference. If we are honest we all want to look our best, but sometimes life gets in the way. We are busy and have people we have to take care of and sometimes put ourselves last! Today is your lucky day, if you follow these simple tips, getting ready will no longer be as stressful and a lot quicker. You don't need to spend a lot of money to dress well, simply apply some of these tips...
1. Create a capsule wardrobe. These are the pieces that are not trendy, they are classy and timeless. Look at your closet and ask yourself these questions. Do I have a well made pair of jeans that fit me right now? Do I have a basic tee that is not washed out and fits me just right? Do I have a pair of flats that are good quality and I can wear year round? These are some of the questions you should ask yourself when trying to create a capsule wardrobe. There is a lot of information online about how to create a minimal capsule wardrobe but it can be overwhelming trying to organize your closet and get rid of pieces so I recommend going through your closet and only keeping the items that fit just right and bring you joy. I have a dedicated post on 5 simple ways to organize and de-clutter your closet today. I will also be doing a dedicated post on how to create a capsule wardrobe, coming up soon...
2. Know your body frame and only buy things that fit you perfectly. I see a lot of my wardrobe styling clients buying items because they love how it looks on the model or in a magazine. God created us all different and somethings that might look amazing on you but not look so great on me! Also learn how to NOT be a impulse buyer. Ladies this one is so real and personal to me! I have bought items that were on clearance and made myself believe that one day I will wear it. The truth is you will not wear the item(s) because they will not bring you joy. They will take up space and maybe you will convince yourself to wear them a few times because of the money you spent on the items. I have been guilty of spending too much time at Target looking through the clearance isles while only coming for milk and toilet paper. :) Another hobby of mine is finding designer pieces for amazing prices; I'll spend hours at my local TjMaxx, Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth trying to find the latest fashions while never paying retail. I love a good sale, just ask my hubby, but don't want to buy more STUFF that will take up valuable space in my closet. I want to love everything I own and wear it! Have fun shopping but don't buy things because of a good deal.
3. Invest in fitted dress pants. Having a pair of pants that fit your body perfectly will help you so much getting ready in the morning. Regardless of your lifestyle; having a pair of well made dress pants are a must for every woman on the go. It's important that they are good quality and fit your frame. The next time you need to go to work or a meeting you are not looking around trying to find something that will work. Get them tailored and keep them on a hanger, wrinkle free and ready to go for the next time you need to wear them. There are so many stores that sell well made dress pants, these are some of my favorite places to shop for pants. Nordstrom, Loft and Ann Taylor, TJMaxx, Dillard's and Banana Republic.
4. Comfortable high heels. I know this might be hard to find but I do recommend you purchase a well made leather pair of heels that will last you a long time. Especially if you don't wear them everyday. As a wardrobe stylist I recommend heels 2-3 inches, a classy pointy toe or a basic dressy wedge that are more practical for everyday. You don't need to spend a lot of money on quality well made heels. I will link below some of my favorites that are comfortable, practical and gorgeous.
5. Plan ahead. This tip is very important for all the busy women. Regardless if you are a stay at home mom or a working woman, planning ahead is very important. I like to look at my closet and see how I can wear a few pieces I haven't worn in a few weeks. I also determine how my schedule for the week is. Right now I work a lot from home and have meetings on Tuesday and Thursday's, those are the times I know I need to have a business casual look on hand. Assess your life and see how you can take a basic gym look and make it look put together. Or your mom jeans into a cute everyday look. By planning ahead you will take out the stress of getting ready in the morning. Having outfits planned for a few days ahead will allow you to feel more comfortable and tackle whatever life throws at you!
I hope you enjoyed my practical tips on how to dress well regardless of your budget, style and size. In the near feature I will be sharing more wardrobe styling tips. How to dress your body frame to not being overwhelmed with trying new trends. My style is classy, feminine, and chic but your style might be different and that's okay. It's about being yourself and having fun with your clothes, allowing your personality to shine.
Until next time, your stylist and friend!