Let's talk about closet basics that every woman needs to invest in. I hear it all the time from my styling clients to DM's from Instagram, what are the pieces I need to spend more money on. How do I look classy, feminine and stylish? I believe it all starts with great basics! Pieces that are well made and will not change shape when we put them in the wash. Today I won't be talking about designer pieces that are not practical for most mom's and the everyday woman. These are pieces that are not cheap, but can be pricey if purchased on a weekly basis. As fashion is evolving everyday and more more designers want a piece of the financial pie they are stepping up their game in regards to making quality pieces for an more affordable price. Some of my favorite finds are at my local TjMaxx where I can score designer pieces for an affordable price. The key is to be patient and not be a impulse shopper. You will end up buying clothes just because of the "good deal" and not because you need them. Now let's talk about the wardrobe staples!
1. Invest in well made jeans. Yes I mean spending money on jeans that fit perfectly. I don't care how much money you spend on them, it's about the fabric and fit of the jeans. Usually jeans that are a bit more pricey are designer, I am not saying you need to spend $200 on jeans but I do think it is worth the investment to spend a little more on jeans that you will be wearing a lot. Most jeans that are poorly made can make you look heavier and not provide any type of support. I love to buy my jeans at Nordstrom or the Rack and TjMaxx. I can find well made designer jeans for a great price. I have had jeans for over 12 years because they still fit me perfectly and the fabric is still great. I would say that most women look good in skinny jeans. Regardless of your body shape, having a pair of jeans that are snug can give us a lift and an illusion of a smaller waist. The higher waist-ed jeans are my favorite. Ladies I am not talking about our favorite saggy mom jeans that are old and need to be burned, I am talking about jeans that make you feel beautiful and confident every time you put them on. I will link below my favorite pairs that I have purchased and love.
2. Shoes. Yes good quality shoes matter. I believe each woman should have a pointy pair of classic black or nude color pumps. It doesn't matter about the size of the heel, it's more about the fit and style. The truth is I LOVE SHOES! They are my weakness. People ask me how do I style my looks, and for me it always starts with my shoes. They make me happy, regardless of my weight my shoes always fit! My first "official" fashion job was at Aldo shoes, I remember walking into Aldo and the manager loved my outfit and basically offered me a job. I was 16. Most of my paycheck Aldo took back because I loved so many of the shoes and wanted them all! It's so fun to look at my closet because I still have a few pairs from my days working at Aldo and other retail stores...The classic pair of heels or well made flats can make an outfit in a few minutes. Throw on your basic tee with your well made skinny jeans paired with your classic black pumps, and that is your outfit. Find heels that are practical with your lifestyle. The height of the heel is wearable providing you the most comfort.
3. Little Black Dress. There is nothing more classy and timeless in our wardrobe then a LBD. Regardless of your personal style everyone should own a black dress that fits them perfectly. To determine how to purchase the perfect dress, first you need to know your shape. Not all dresses fit and look the same for each woman. For me I am curvy and don't like my clothes to be super tight. I focus on fit a lot because I don't want to look pregnant so I look for styles that are more fitted on top then my bottom. Therefore I focus on dresses that will balance out my proportions and show off my legs because that's one of my best features. Find out what you look best in and purchase that LBD because it will save you lots of time and money, That dress will be perfect for date night, a wedding and dinner on the town with the girls.
4. Well made handbag. Choose the right handbag for your lifestyle, regardless of the designer the bag needs to be you. So many times I see women trying to find that next designer bag because most fashion bloggers are promoting them or they feel like they need to compete with there friends. I am a big believer in remaining true to yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love designer bags! The first LV I purchased felt really good and I still own it, but over the years I have learned how to buy designer well made bags that don't cost thousands of dollars. The reality is if you invest in a classy and timeless handbag you will own it forever! I think the key is buying a bag that is you and fits with your personality. Purchase something that can be worn with all your outfits and has enough space for your essentials. Do your homework before investing in a designer bag. Ask your girlfriends, read the reviews and talk to a stylist that can guide you before making that investment. The sales people at your department store are there to sell, and only you can determine if that bag is something that is practical for you. Oh and if you want to buy a designer or well made bag just for date-nights go do that because it's your life and you are the only one that can determine what makes you happy. I'll make an confession I love bags but only own a few designer handbags. Having 3 kids and carrying all their snacks, crafts, diapers I don't want to buy expensive bags that will be trashed. I have bought amazing Italian designer handbags at my local TJmaxx under $1oo and love them! I switch out my bags for everyday life with kids. from meeting wardrobe styling clients to date-nights with my hubby.
5. Comfortable flats and sandals. I personally recommend investing in leather sandals and flats. That amount of wear we will get out of them will determine the style we will want to go for. Some of my favorite styles are the Tory Burch Miller flip-flops. I own multiple colors and love them all because they are classy, chic and most of all very comfortable. Of-course you can find a more affordable option in sandals that are amazing quality but I wanted to share the Tory Burch sandal because they are practical for everyone. I also love sandals from Steve Madden, Sam Edelman and Marc Fisher. There are so many other great designers that make amazing flats and sandals, you need to figure out how much you are willing to invest in style, comfort and longevity. I will link below some of my favorites and please let me know if you have any questions about sizing or anything else.
These are just five items that are worth investing in but there a few more basics that I will be writing another blog post in the future. Below I have linked some of my current classic and timeless pieces that are well made. If you like to shop online I would appreciate y'all to use my affiliate links supporting styled by Nelli. It doesn't cost you more to shop my links, I just make a small commission from the sale which is a little pay-back to all the work it takes to create a blog post. Even if you don't purchase the items linked below but purchase something else I am still able to make a commission from the original link. I don't like to bring up this a lot but just want to be honest with y'all. It takes a lot of work to create content and I am incredibly grateful if y'all use my shop-able links. Thank you so much for all your support!
What are some of your wardrobe must haves? What are some of the items you can't live without? Thanks so much for spending some time with me!