Real talk. I love love bargain shopping and making inexpensive pieces look expensive. I don't consider myself an avid thrift shopper but I love a good deal. It makes me happy buying a designer piece on clearance at my local TJMAXX. My husband has also been a fan of me spending less money on my shopping addiction. Over the years I have learned how to look more expensive and still have a chic and classy outfit. The key is to know how to style pieces together and know what always looks good on your body frame. Here are my 5 tips to look more expensive and fabulous without having to break the bank.
1. Wear black. Yes, I know this is not any type of revolutionary advice. Black is my go-to color when I need a outfit in minutes and want to look chic and classy. Some of my favorite looks start with classic lace black top, a pair of skinny jeans and pointy pumps. Black is such a forgiving color, you can hide your mom tummy and it gives an illusion of a smaller body. Don't shy away from more fitted black tops. They are great layering pieces and so versatile. You can wear an all black look with a classic or more trendy accessory. Like adding a statement necklace and fun printed scarf to give an outfit a pop of color.
2. Shop your local discount stores. Tjmaxx, Burlington, Nordstrom Rack, and Marshalls are like my best friends. We spend a lot of time together. From browsing the newest collections to spending an hour at the clearance section. Y'all let's be real it takes time to find a really good deal. Sure sometimes I will get lucky but most of time I spend a least an hour at the store until I find something I am proud to take home. I don't want to buy something because it's a good deal. I want to buy it because it fits amazing! Also, I will get a lot of wear out of it. Get to know the management. Ask them when they do there markdowns, so you will have the first picks before the weekend rush. If you follow me on Instagram, I share a lot of stories how I shop and when I score an amazing deal. Don't under estimate the power of being kind to the people that work there. Some of my favorite conversations are with the associates. As a wardrobe stylist and fashion blogger, I want to find the best deals for my clients and myself. It's also important to know what you are looking for, and have a clear vision why you are shopping. Don't get me wrong I love spending hours at my local Tjmaxx and browse the latest designer runway collections for inspiration. But the reality is 80 percent of the time I don't buy anything because I don't need it. I only buy when this piece will serve a purpose in my life. Be a savvy shopper, not a impulse buyer!
3. Look put together. The power of makeup and having our hair done speaks volumes to the world, and to our own confidence. You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars at your local Chanel or makeup counter to look fabulous. The trick is to invest in foundation and a few other pieces that make a difference. You can wear your hair pulled back and have a fresh everyday makeup look and still look flawless. It's about confidence, and spending 15-30 minutes in the morning to look your best. The way we present ourselves to the world matters. As a wardrobe stylist I need to look presentable most of my everyday life, because who would want to hire a stylist that can't dress herself?! At the gym I don't have a full face of makeup, but in general I try to look my best so the world can take me seriously.
4. Add accessories to your outfit. By adding a statement necklace or earrings you instantly make a simple outfit pop. Right now most retailers are offering custom jewelry that is affordable and doesn't look cheap. Some of my favorite places to shop for inexpensive jewelry is Tjmaxx, (of course) Nordstrom Rack and Target. I love Sugar Fix by Baublebar jewelry. They are the sister company to Baublebar which is owned by Nordstrom. Sugar fix makes trendy good quality pieces that wont break the bank. I recommend having a few pieces that are classy, like a simple elegant gold layering necklace that can be dressed up or down. Also when you are wearing your hair up, statement earrings are always a good idea. My secret to looking elegant and classy is always wearing earrings that make my outfit stand out more. I also love to check out the markdowns at my local discount store for the jewelry. I have found Kate Spade, Micheal Kors and many other designer jewelry pieces for a very affordable price. In this outfit pictured I am wearing the latest collection from Sugar Fix by Baublebar and you can pick up these exact pieces at your local Target. I will also have them linked below.
5. Buy clothing that is well tailored. Having clothing that is well tailored is a game changer! Pieces that fit your body frame will instantly make you look more expensive. Ladies do not buy items only because they are a good deal. If the piece is terrible quality and doesn't fit your body frame perfectly, don't waste your money! Wait until a designer piece or a more expensive brand goes on clearance. Stores do markdowns on a weekly basis, sometimes on a daily basis because fashion moves so fast, Just wait until that piece you really want goes on sale. If you are looking for well made tailored pieces try looking at Ann Taylor and the Loft, they always run great sales and have clearance sections. Also another favorite affordable brand of mine is Who What Wear from Target. They make amazing tailored clothing for the price! Y'all will be impressed with the quality. I recommend reading reviews if you are shopping online for affordable clothes, do your research.
Finally I think the biggest tip is to wear confidence. There is nothing more powerful then being confident in your own skin. Regardless of your age or personal style confidence is always in style. To be honest with y'all for years I struggled with confidence. I would wear these killer outfits to church and always felt different because I was expressing myself through my personal style. Now looking back I wish I rocked my looks without giving a damn of what others think of me. The older I get the more confident I am in my own skin. Right now as I am writing this post I have never been more confident. Sure it comes with age, but it also comes with knowing who you are. Simply being yourself. I think my mission as a blogger is to take my background and share my story with the world. Hoping to inspire others to be themselves. Money can't buy confidence. Wearing designer clothing can't buy confidence. Sure you can look good but inside you can be broken and hurting. Today I hope you can wear confidence that will last forever. I know it seems cliche, but my daughter Mila is growing up and I want her to always be confident. Beauty truly begins when you decide to be yourself. What makes you feel confident? For me to starts with knowing who I am in Christ and everything else seems to go in place when I know what my maker thinks of me...
"You are far more precious than jewels". Proverbs 31:10
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.